Monday, April 23, 2012

Fish Cakes!!



I made the most delicious fish cakes last night. From the complete kitchen cookbook and they were so easy. My dad who is absolutely anti low fat cooking even thought they were delicious. There is actually no 'lowfat' ingredients in them. Just good natural healthy things which is great. My dad and my sister were having spring lamb so me and mum served these with the veg they made, but I think they would go very nicely with a leafy green salad. They are a good size and because I had some extra propoints left on sunday I was planning on eating 3, but the recommend serving size of 2 is actually very filling. They also freeze uncooked which is handy if you cook for one. You can make a batch of 8 and then freeze them in portions. So anyway here goes with the recipe.

Spicy Fishcakes with Chermoula Sauce

Serves 4
8pp per serving

450g sweet potato, peeled and chopped roughly
450g haddock fillet
1tsp ground cumin
1/2 red chilli, de-seeded and diced (I used a whole one, I like spicy)
Grated zest & Juice of 1/2 a lemon
6tbsps chopped fresh coriander
1tbsp plain flour
100g fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp paprika
3 tomatoes diced

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the sweet potato. Return to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. (Should be soft enough to mash). When cooked drain and leave sit for a few minutes to steam off any excess moisture.
Place the haddock in a deep frying pan, cover with boiling water and cook gently for 5 mins. (Should flake easily). Remove from the water, and break it into large flakes removing any skin or bones.
Mash the sweet potato until smooth and stir in half the cumin, half the chilli, 1tsp of lemon zest and half the chopped coriander. When combined, add the fish and stir gently. At this point I would add a little salt and pepper, it didnt say to in the recipe but I felt after tasting it needed a small bit. Should look like the below:


Shape this into 8 fishcakes. Then turn each fishcake in the flour, then the egg and finally coat with the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a non stick baking tray, cover with cling film and leave sit in the fridge for 30 mins. (I didn't leave mine for quite that long, and they did hold together except for one).
Bake the fishcakes in a preheated oven (Gas 6/200C/fan180C) for 20 mins, turning halfway.

For the chermoula sauce, toast the rest of the cumin and the paprika in a dry nonstick pan for 30-40 seconds. Add this to a bowl with the rest of the chilli, lemon zest and juice and garlic and stir to make a paste. Stir in the tomatoes, the rest of the coriander and 2tbsps of cold water. and its ready to serve. Next time I would chop my tomatoes a little smaller as I felt it was a small bit chunky, but its not really important!




The recipe also says you can swap the fresh haddock for smoked, the sweet potato for normal potato and the chilli, cumin and coriander for 2tbsp chopped parsley and 1tbsp of horseradish and cook the same way. Propoints stay the same. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonder would butternut squash work instead of any potato...? These sounds delicious and just just wondering if I could save on some PP's and add a few home made chips :)

    ReplyDelete