Monday, December 10, 2012

Chicken & Ham Tangle Pie

The hairy dieters have done it again. I am telling you that book is a god send. There is not a recipe I have tried that I haven't liked. And considered I have only had the book about a month I have already tried more recipes than I have in any of my other books, because they ALL look so good. This is one my favourite so far (but I will most likely say that when I try the next one.)


As a weight watcher, or anyone looking for healthy recipes, then go and buy this book. It is by far the best "diet" recipe book out there. Anyway here is the recipe:

Servings 5
Propoints per serving 12
Ingredients:

2tsps sunflower oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 medium leek sliced thinly
100ml white wine
150ml water
1 chicken stock cube
1kg whole cooked chicken (or 500g cook chicken breast meat)
100g sliced smoked ham
2tsp plain flour
300g creme fraiche

3 sheets filo pastry
1.5-2tsp sunflower oil

Preheat oven to Gas 6/200C/Fan 180C

Heat the oil in a large non stick frying pan and cook the onions and garlic over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened. Add the leeks and cook for 1 more minute stirring constantly. Pour over the wine and 100ml of the water and dissolve in the stock cube. Simmer over a high heat and stir constantly until the liquid has reduced by half.

Remove the skin from the chicken and then tear off the meat into bite size pieces. Place them in a bowl with the ham (cut into bite sized strips) and toss in the flour. Pour over the onion/wine/stock mixture, the rest of the water and the creme fraiche, season and mix well. Spook into a 1.5 litre pie dish.

Place the filo sheets one on top of the other and cut into 9 rectangles. Brush each rectangle with oil (be sure to use a small amount as the 2tsp needs to last for all rectangles) and lightly scrunch it, placing it on top of the pie close together until the pie is covered.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown and the filling is bubbling.


I divided this into 4 portions for 15 propoints each, I sort of hate recipes with uneven servings because I find it really hard to divide it. I didn't have a round dish which would have made it easier. But I have to say it was a huge portion and I am still stuffed 3 hours later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment