Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hairy Dieters Propointed! ***Smart Point & Flex Updated***


As you all know I love the Hairy Dieters cookbooks and when I first got each of the books I sat down and calculated the ProPoints in all the recipes so I didn't have any excuse not to use them. Now that SmartPoints is out I have gone back and calculated the smart points values after numerous requests to do so. I know a lot of people will be sticking with ProPoints for the forseeable future so I have left the ProPoints values in too. I have also added the SmartPoints that need to be taken from weeklies for anyone following the No Count plan.


***Update 2018***
I have gone back and amended the SmartPoint Values for the new Flex update. A lot of the recipes will stay the same, some have minimal change and some more drastic. No Count values have remained the same so are unedited. 

Just a few things to note on this post and the posts of the other books!


  • I am in Ireland and do not have access to the same e-tools those in the UK and else where have, so these values have been calculated using the food guides given in classes and the shopping guide. So cannot guarantee 100% accuracy. 
  • For some of the recipes, when working out ProPoints values I did use the calories given in the book as a guide to estimate but have NOT done this for any of the SmartPoint Values.
  • For the ProPoint values for this first book, I also replaced all oil with low cal Spray oil. I did not do that for Smart Point values or any of the other books unless the recipe specifies 'oil for spraying' . If you wish to use low cal Spray oil instead you will need to adjust the calculations.
  • For the recipes that involve blending fruit and veg, I used the MyFitnessPal recipe builder to get the full nutritional info and then used the calculator to work out the SmartPoints. I did this as the guides tell you that blended fruit needs to be counted but I couldn't find anywhere to show how it should be calculated. 
  • Apart from the note about oil above, all recipes have ProPoints & SmartPoints calculated as they are in the book. No substitutions made, if it says full fat cheese thats what I pointed, semi skimmed was pointed as such etc. 

  • However, when working out values for No Count I made a few substitutions
    • Milk changed to skimmed instead of semi skimmed. 
    • Rice changed to brown rice (with the exception of Aboria and Paella)
    • Pasta/Spaghetti changed to brown pasta
    • Cous Cous changed to wholemeal cous cous
    • Rindless Back Bacon changed with bacon medallions
    • Pitta's & Wraps changed to the WW branded versions which are free.
  • Finally, please let me know if any of these are incorrect and I will check and update them ASAP. 
Breakfast & BrunchFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Crumpets and warm spiced berries with yourt and honey7177
Cranberry & Almond Muesli (Without Milk)7275
Bacon with Poached egg and balsamic tomato3055
Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon77119
Fresh Fruit compote with Home-made Granola8586
Baked haddock, spinach & egg pots (Without Crispbreads)3254
One-Pan DishesFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Prawn & Chive Omelette1088
Minted Pea and Feta Omelette441210
Minestrone Soup2023
Golden Veg Soup1011
Mushroom, Feta & Tomato Baked Peppers16151610
Mussels with Leeks & White Wine: 2 servings8399
Mussels with Leeks & White Wine: 3 servings5266
Roasted Cod with Parma Ham & Peppers2235
Spanish Style Chicken Bake14111411
Whole Baked Fish with Sun-dried tomatoes74119
Grills & RoastsFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Salmon with Chilli Ginger2278
Masala-Marinated Chicken with Minted Yoghurt Sauce: 4 servings4088
Masala-Marinated Chicken with Minted Yoghurt Sauce: 5 servings3066
Mediterranean Beef Burgers1071011
Lemony Lamb Kebabs (per kebab - no pitta)5454
Roast Port with Apple Gravy (no crackling)8187
Peppered Steak with Mushrooms9397
Lemon & Thyme Roasted Chicken: 5 servings5179
Lemon & Thyme Roasted Chicken: 6 servings4168
Easy Crispy Chicken5478
Cajun Spiced Chicken with Potato Wedges & Chive Dip4068
Harissa Chicken with Bulgar Wheat Salad3057
PiesFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Quick Cod & Prawn Gratin54710
Chicken & Ham Tangle Pie1081412
Skinny Beef Lasagne8489
Low-fat minced beef and potato pies7578
Cottage Pie: 6 Servings8287
Cottage Pie: 8 Servings6265
Lean Lamb Hotpot15101511
StewsFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Spicy Bean & Vegetable Stew: 4 servings6276
Spicy Bean & Vegetable Stew: 5 servings5265
Gorgeous Fish Stew with Garlic Croutons7389
Paprika Chicken11101110
Old-fashionedChicken & Vegetable Stew1431411
Our Special Casoulet1291214
Rich Beef & Ale Casserole9399
Lamb Tagine11101211
Vegetables & SaladsFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Posh Prawn Cocktail2123
Chicken Caesar Salad5478
Chilli Salad Bowls1051011
Cumin Crusted Veg: 4 servings4044
Cumin Crusted Veg: 5 servings3033
Vinagrette1011
Zingy Yoghurt Dressing0000
Light Herby Dressing1110
Beetroot Salad with Yoghurt & Cumin Seeds2122
Warm Griddled Vegetables3132
Fruity Rice Salad: 4 servings3033
Fruity Rice Salad: 6 servings2022
Fennel & Orange Salad with Harissa Dressing: 2 servings7574
Fennel & Orange Salad with Harissa Dressing: 4 servings4242
FakeawaysFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Sweet & Sour Chicken6575
Chicken Korma6478
Fragrant Pork & Prawn Noodle Broth4245
Lamb Spinach & Potato Curry9697
Chicken Jalfrezi4166
Coconut Prawn Curry99107
Very Easy Thai Chicken & Coconut Curry7798
Pasta & RiceFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Home-made Butternut Squash Tortellini12111211
Beachside Paella1091110
Chilli Lemon Tuna & Broccoli Spaghetti801112
Chicken & Mushroom Risotto7687
Southern-Style Jambalaya106109
Italian Meathballs with Chunky Tomato Sauce5157
Chilli Con Carne4259
Rich & Meaty Bolognese3235
Puddings & CakesFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Moist Carrot & Sultana Cake8787
Summer Fruit Meringues1111117 (low fat cream)
Skinny Lemon Cupcakes with Drizzly Icing7675
Swiss Roll5566
Sparkling Lemonade & Lime Jelly0000
Chewy Cranberry & Apricot Bites3232
Plum Rice Pudding5354
Lunch Boxes & SnacksFlexNo CountSmartPointsProPoints
Tuna Nicoise Wrap72710
Simple Tuna & Sweetcorn Pasta Salad4156
Chicken & Parma Ham Topless Sandwich6676
Mackerel Pate & Watercress Topless Sandwich9899
A Very English Sandwich7598
Cheese & Pickle1211129
Egg, Bacon & Asparagus Flan6485
Cheese, Leek & Onion Pasties7676
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: 8 servings1022

31 comments:

  1. This is great, I love this, would you mind if I mentioned this blog tomorrow on my blog because it's so useful for people Ccseli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for spending the time to pp the recipes. Love this cook book and now I can really start trying them out. Got link to this from Niptuck. Have you done any other cook books?
    Good luck with your weightless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all your hard work pro pointing the entire book. Makes life very easy now. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i just want to check this is perportion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is per portion. Some of the recipes gave options for how many it served and I worked out the points for both. Hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  5. You are absolutely right - I have no idea how I completely missed the parsnip in there!! Will update now - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Which hairy dieters book is it? I was going to order from amazon but there seems to be a few different books? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is their first one. The Hairy Dieters: How to love food and lose weight. Their second one, Eat for Life only came out this month and as soon as I get it I will be doing another post with that one too!

      Delete
    2. I have just ordered the new one so should get it this week!

      Delete
  7. thank you again have now pro pointed both books,i need all the help I can with my dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever decorated a cake stand with party favors before?It’s such a fun way to thank.

    cheese board & salad bowl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just ordered two of their books on amazon! Very excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came across this. Thank you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing the PP for these books. You are wonderful hun. I hope you dont mind but I have saved your blog page on my Weight Watchers group that I am admin on which belongs to my friend Tracy. I am addicted to these books and most days I am doing a HD recipe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your time and effort on posting all these!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just heard about your pp values at my ww meeting. Thanks for the help. I had pp'd a favourite few but not all so this is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ive just been passed this link on from a weight watchers group on FB... expect a huge influx in your stats.... these are great and just what I need. Thank you. I am 5 weeks into my journey, (I also blog about my journey) and think this will help my journey even more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do we now turn all these into smart points?! Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Ireland and the new smart points hasn't been released yet. There are rumours it will be out here in January. As soon as I know and have the info, I'll start recalculating to add smart points!

      Delete
  16. We've just started smartpoints now and would love these to be converted too

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SO helpful .... Hairy Bikers recipes are Definitely the best ... But is such s pain to convert ... So Thankyou!!! I will use them a LIT more now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! Saved me a lot of time. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this! Have just ordered the book! ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this, have now ordered the book! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm confused how paprika chicken has 11 smart points - how come so high if it's mainly chicken and veg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its because it is made with chicken thighs which are very high in smartpoints (i think 4 each). If you replaced these with chicken breast you would drastically reduce the smartpoints.

      Delete
  22. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I was struggling a bit for the last two weeks and this will really help especially as we head into Easter Week!! Very best of luck with your journey Jennifer (Dublin) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi reading with great interest and am making notes in my books but the prawn and chive omlette ive worked out as 1 point - on smart points. Can I check it with you please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cookiekegs. When Smartpoints was originally introduced in ireland Eggs and other proteins had to be pointed. Last year the plan was updated and renamed 'Flex' over here which saw the increase of 0 smartpoint foods. So I have a column added named Flex which shows the omelette is just 1sp. They have since rebranded and renamed this program Freestyle here, again using smartpoints but the same as Flex. Its a bit confusing but the column named Flex shows the values from the current program. I left all the old programs in as I updated this as I know a lot of my followers still use this in their own time. Hope that clarifies.

      Delete