Wednesday, September 24, 2014

10 Days to Galway Bay!



I actually cannot believe how fast the past few months have gone by and my first half marathon is almost upon me! I am feeling all sorts of things but mostly a hefty dose of nerves mixed with excitement. I feel prepared, my training has not been as rigorous as it could have been but I have done all I can. I've officially started my taper which means I only have a few shorter runs to go. I have been keeping up my gym routine twice a week but next week I am going to give it a miss. My runs have suffered a couple of times due to my aching muscles and I just don't want to take the risk. 

One thing I know is that I need a goal to focus on. I know once this run is over all the good intentions in the world won't get me back out running regularly. Sure I'll head out, but I won't have the motivation to keep up the 4 runs per week or keep increasing my time/distance. So I need to find a new race to sign up for and I want to have it chosen in the next 10 days. 


I have to say I never in a million years would have thought I could run a mile, never mind take part in a half marathon. Weight Watchers has really thought me you can do anything you put your mind to and I am proof of that (or at least I will be in 10 days)! I started out in 2012 with one goal in mind, to get my gold card, but life is full of different goals and dreams. Would love to hear what non scales related goals you'd like to realise!

4 comments:

  1. The Great Limerick run on the first Sunday in May :) 6 miles/half marathon/marathon. Maybe that could be a possible race to set your sights on...completing your second half marathon in a quicker time maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a bit far in the future to be my next run but it could be a contender for next year! I'll wait and see how I get on next sat before committing to another one :)

      Delete
  2. I promise you - the feeling of accomplishment will outlive anything. You've put in the work, the sweat, the time... This will be your first Half so enjoy it. I don't mean the run while you are running, no one enjoys that, but enjoy the lead up, the finish line, the celebration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I am trying to focus on all the positives to help override my fears for the actual run itself. Still a week to go and I have butterflies!

      Delete