Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Bye Bye January..




January has been a long long month, and up until this week I didn't really feel like I achieved much. I came back from London and my next weigh in I was up 2lbs which was only to be expected. Then I got myself back on track 100% and I stayed the same last weekend so I was feeling really disheartened. I had managed to ease myself back into the jogging but I was really feeling it! I felt down on myself, and as usual I was feeling bloated and dumpy. I bought myself a new dress a couple of weeks before and I was dreading putting it on. One of the most unforgiving dresses I could own, I even went so far as to go out and buy myself a magic slip the night before to suck in all my wobbly bits (to wear on top of my usual control tights just to be sure). So I was getting ready and on went the slip and despite not being able to breathe I thought I'd be grand. The dress went on over and I was not happy, the 2 materials were clashing, the dress wouldn't sit right and whatever way the material was catching I felt HUGE. I was also roasting in all the layers, and not being able to breathe was wearing thin.


So i took the dress of and it almost went back in the wardrobe in favour of something a little looser but I thought I would give it one more go without the slip. I couldn't believe it when I put it back on and was happy with how it looked. I felt amazing and really reminded me that the scales are not the be all and end all at any stretch of the imagination. There I was 5lbs above goal and feeling just as good, if not better as I would at my goal weight.

I am geared up for a bad week this week. I am away with work for a couple of days with very little control over what and when I am eating. I did try to go out jogging this morning, long story short I was locked in the hotel. I have found out the alternative way out and in for tomorrow morning so I have my alarm set and going to get at least 3 miles done. 



I think my biggest goal for this year has been sorting out my work life balance and I am happy to say I think I am making a bit of headway on it. I am managing to get out of the office at a more reasonable hour and improving just how efficiently I use my time. I am setting expectations a little better, not only with my colleagues but with myself as well. I still have a way to go, but I am doing my best so when I get home in the evenings I have a bit of time for myself and to get back to really enjoying my cooking as well. February is a shorter month but I have full intentions of keeping it up and posting as many recipes as I can. 

Breakfast is even getting a much needed shake up from the usual porridge and am back to utilising crumpets which are a lifesaver. As a nice alternative to the usual breakfast suspect, my flavour of the moment is an eggy crumpet and I've been getting lots of recipe requests on instagram for it so here you go, my eggy crumpet with banana. 




Serves 1
Propoints per serving: 6pp
Ingredients:
1 crumpet (I like McCloskeys, but any brand will do)
Half a beaten egg (1 egg will last 2 breakfasts)
1 tsp real butter
1 banana
1 tsp runny honey


Soak your crumpet in the beaten egg, turning once or twice until it has soaked up roughly half a medium egg. 

Heat half the butter in a small frying pan over a low heat. Add the crumpet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, turning at least once halfway through. I like to press down with a spatula just to ensure the heat gets all the way to the centre. Remove from the pan and set to one side.

Heat the remainder of the butter over a medium heat and add the banana. Cook for 2-3 minutes turning occasionally until the banana softens slightly and starts to caramelise a bit on the edges. 

Drizzle the honey over the crumpet and top with the banana.

To mix things up a bit, you can add a little cinnamon or vanilla essence to the egg. I also sometimes swap the honey for 1 tbsp of the WW chocolate spread or a tsp jam. 

You can use some low calorie spray instead of butter to save a propoint (I really do like the extra flavour from the butter but you have to be careful to use just a teaspoon) and if you do this and replace the honey with a little Filling & Healthy jam or a tiny bit of sweet freedom this is all free on filling and healthy. 

(I have one of those tiny 1 egg sized frying pan, so I cook my crumpet and banana separately but if you are using a bigger pan you can do both at the same time)

2 comments: