Sunday, January 24, 2016

Potato Rosti



Last year I got so used to having an indulgent Saturday night dinner, completely off plan and not tracked. I started to think back to when I first started weight watchers and I remember how much fun it was coming up with ways of having an indulgent dinner without breaking the bank of points so to say. I'm not willing to give up these nights in, but I have to be willing to make some adjustments to fit the plan. I feel like sides are the biggest down fall. Having something different on the side, can make even a plain piece of protein interesting so this is where my focus is. Potato Rosti is a favourite of mine, and my boyfriend used the make these for himself, fried in loads of butter. So I decided to make my own roast kind which are much lower in smart points.



This recipe makes 6 rosti, and the work out at 3 smart points each, or you can have two for 5 smartpoints. They are free on No Count, as long as you take the oil out of your daily allowance. You don't want to use floury potatoes for these, as they will go a little mushy. My favourite is to have these with some sort of red meat, but in reality they go with anything. Super easy to make, you really can't go wrong.

Servings: 6 Rosti:
Smartpoints per Serving: 3 smartpoints per rosti or two rosti for 5 smartpoints.
Free on No Count

Ingredients:
400g waxy potatoes peeled
1 onion
Sea Salt & Black Pepper
1 tbsp sunflower oil or melted coconut oil

Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with non stick parchment paper.

Grate the potato and rinse well under cold water. Put on a clean tea towel and squeeze until all the excess liquid and starch comes out. You want to be left with dry, grated potato. Grate the onion and mix through the potato.

Season well with some sea salt and lots of black pepper and then pour over the oil. Mix really well until the oil is well combined with the potato and onion mixture. Divide the mixture intil sixths and place into small mounds on the baking tray, each in a rough round shape. They should be about 1cm thick.

Place in the oven for 15 minutes, before taking out and pressing each mound into a flat disk. Put back into the oven and flip each rosti after 10 minutes. Cook for a final 10 minutes until the edges are nice and crisp and the centres are golden brown. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment