Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Kung Pao Chicken




This recipe came from the March Weight Watchers magazine, and to be honest the first time I saw it I hardly paid any attention. I needed something new to make though so I was flicking through all the old issues and for some reason this caught my eye. 


My other half seems to think stir fry is 'boring' and so we don't have it nearly as often as I'd like, so its nice to find new stir fry recipes to try that he likes as much as me. I have to say this did not disappoint. It was super easy and quick to make too, once you remember the marinade the chicken. I did mine overnight as it was easier for me but it doesn't need that long. After cooking you end up with a thick, rich sauce and juicy chicken pieces that is absolutely perfect served with a little brown right. 

I wasn't planning on posting this recipe, so the picture isn't the best, but I got so many requests on Instagram and Facebook that I decided to go ahead and post the recipe. A few people mentioned that they had the magazine this recipe came from but had thrown it out, so I would say if you do buy the weight watchers magazines, it is worth keeping them for a couple of months and flicking through the recipes a few times. There is always something you miss the first couple of times. I do this and before I throw any out I have one last look and tear out any recipes I think I may try in the future. I have 3 and half folders full of recipes from magazines going back the past 4 years and they do get used!


Servings: 4
SmartPoints on Flex: 3sp
Smartpoints per serving: 5sp
Smartpoints on No Count: 1
Ingredients:
650g skinless chicken breast
3tbsp soy sauce
3tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2tsp Szechuan peppercorns
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
2tbsp hoisin sauce
1tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
6 spring onions, trimmed & sliced
3 carrots
2 courgettes
1tbsp sesame oil
Handful fresh coriander leaves

Cut your chicken into chunks and place in a shallow dish. Mix together 2tbsp of the soy sauce and 1tbsp of the rice wine vinegar and pour over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.

Toast the Szechuan pepper corns in a dry pan over a medium heat for 2 minutes, then transfer to a pestle and mortar and crush.

Mist a wok with spray oil and fry the chicken over a medium high heat for 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Whisk together the remaining soy sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar , the hoisin sauce, cornflour, chilli flakes and Szechuan pepper and pour into the wok. Cook for 1 minute and then add the spring onion.

Peel the carrots and courgette into ribbons and toss together in a bowl. Whisk together the last of the rice wine vinegar and the sesame oil and drizzle over the veg. Add half of the coriander and toss to combine.

Garnish the chicken and salad with the rest of the coriander and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment