Saturday, March 26, 2016

Lentil, Chickpea & Quinoa Stew


I have to start by apologising for the picture, it is probably one of the worst food pictures I've taken in a while and next time I make this I will be updating it. I didn't realise how blurry it was until I'd eaten all my dinner and I couldn't take another. 


This dish doesn't look the most appetising but I am telling you it was absolutely delicious. I mixed a few different recipes I found online to make this one and the results were divine. I love finding a great vegetarian dish that can be made again and this is one of those. 

Its also quite versatile. For dinner I served it with a flatbread that I have topped with chilli, garlic and 1/2 tsp of oil and the cooked in the oven for a few minutes and it was wonderful. I also had a half portion of this for breakfast topped with a poached egg and it worked just as well. If you aren't into full veggie dishes, this would be a great side to a nice marinated chicken breast, pork chop or some nice fish. 

While I was cooking this I was quite sceptical of how it would turn out, but stick with it, you will not be disappointed. 

Serves: 4
Smartpoints per serving: 6sp
Smarpoints on No Count: 1sp
Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
65g quinoa
65g red lentils
1tsp sunflower oil
1 red chilli
1 small onion, thinly sliced
150g baby spinach
4 cloves garlic
1.5 tsp Garam Masala
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp honey/maple syrup
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
3-4 cherry tomatoes
2 cups of water
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
salt & black pepper
2tbsp cashew nuts chopped


Put the tomato, spinach, ginger, garlic and vinegar in a food processor. Add half the water and belnd into a smooth puree. 

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed, lidded dish and add the onion and chilli. Cook for amoutn 5-6 minutes until soft and the onion is transluent. Add the garam masala, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a further minute. 

Add the spinach mixture to the pot and stir well before mixing in the chilli flakes,  lentils, quinoa and chickpeas. Add the remaining water and bring to the boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for a30 minutes. 

Season to taste and serve immediately topped with the cashew nuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment