Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Mini Apple Pie's



It's been a while since I posted a sweet treat. I tend to stay away from making sweet treats unless I have people to feed, otherwise I am stuck in the position of having lots of treats with a short expiration date and a big appetite - not the best combination. So a recipe that can make just enough for you to eat then and there is a winner.



When I made the Butternut Squash and Feta Pie's a couple of weeks and the thing about working the filo pastry is once its defrosted, you have to use it all within 24hrs or throw it out. I hate waste and so when I had a few sheets of filo pastry and some leftover smartpoints I needed to think of something to use them for. This was what I came up with. They were the perfect evening treat, a decent sized portion and just enough sweet to keep you going. The recipe makes 4 mini pie's and the work out at 2 smartpoints each or 2 pies for 3 smartpoints.

Makes 4 Pies
Smartpoints per Pie: 2 sp (3sp for 2 pies)
Smartpoints on No Count: 2 sp (3sp for 2 pies)
Ingredients:
2 eating apples
sprinkle cinnamon
1 tsp sweetner
2 tbsp water
1 sheet filo pastry
10g low fat spread

Preheat the oven to180c. Peel, core and slice the apples and place in a small pot with the sweetner, cinnamon and water. (You can add other spices like clove, nutmeg or whatever takes your fancy, I love it simply with some cinnamon). Cook over a medium heat, stirring regularly until the apples are soft and cooked, but still retain their shape. Set aside.

Spray a cupcake/muffin tin with low calorie spray oil and melt the low fat spread. Cut your filo pastry into 8 equal pieces. and brush each with the spread (keep a little spread for the top of the pies). Place 2 pieces of filo on top of each other at an angle and place in the cupcake tin. Repeat until you have 4 holes filled. Place 1/4 of the apple onto each and seal up the pastry on top. Brush with a little more spread.

Bake for 20 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and dust with a little sweetner and serve immediately. I paired mine with a little greek yoghurt and it was perfect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment